Saturday, January 28, 2017

Chinese New Year: The Year of the Rooster

Andre Poulet is shaking his tail feathers for Year of the Rooster!
When I lived in Vancouver, Chinese New Year celebrations were a big deal. Not just because of Chinatown, Vancouver has a large Asian population. I believe in celebrating diversity, not resenting it.
It's fun and educational and respectful to celebrate the festivals of other countries and other religions.

We celebrate the Chinese New Year in my family now because two of my nieces are from China. I have a lovely hand-painted rooster card that I received from all the kids wishing us Happy New Year. That card, and the origami rooster that came with it (we're very international!) will be treasured forever.

A Chinese astrologer named Laura Lau told the Guardian newspaper in the UK that the energy associated with a rooster year means the coming 12 months will not be boring. Her advice? "Stay organized, think through all your actions, and don't slack off: The Rooster favours those who put in the hard work and stick to a plan."
Not only that, apparently it's a Fire Rooster year, so expect everything to move at top speed and with a lot of intensity!

(I read this and shudder. I'm a slow, methodical worker who likes things steady and reliable. Not sure I'm able to take everything up a couple of notches -- even though it likely wouldn't hurt to do so!)

You are a rooster if you are born in the following years: 2017, 2005, 1993, 1981, 1969.
This means you are, typically, honest, energetic, intelligent, flamboyant, flexible, diverse, confident.  

(FYI: Next year is the Year of the Dog and that's me, as well as those born in the years 2018, 2006, 1994, 1982, 1970. We are, typically, loyal, sociable, courageous, diligent, steady, lively, adaptable, smart.)

Happy Chinese New Year! Don't be afraid to crow -- this is the year to let yourself be the voice of confidence and optimism.


No comments:

Post a Comment