Monday, May 11, 2020

Countdown to 50: The Big Day


Well, I made it. I'm fifty years old and at the very start of a whole new decade.
Which started out kind of dicey, which isn't good because I'm superstitious about birthdays: 
Start as you mean to go on, right? 
I woke up late, feeling ill. Because it was late, I didn't get to do any yoga 
nor have any quiet time because my mother and husband were up early, too. 
I made the wrong coffee; I use the good stuff on the weekends, 
but instead I used the Monday to Friday coffee. 
And then, worst of all: I actually forgot to feed the cats and dog! 
So things started out very discombobulated, which -- superstitious as I am about birthdays -- made me nervous. 

But after coffee, and scrambled eggs, made by Dwayne, I remembered there were gifts and cards to open. 
I decided to get dressed -- it was my 50th birthday after all -- and that made me feel better.
But then: the cake! That beautiful, handmade cake (from a young mother in Wentworth).
And Prosecco to go with it - cheers! 
All of a sudden, it was a proper birthday, despite no party to look forward to. 


Around one o'clock, Mother and I were sitting on the couch as I shared some social media stuff with her 
when I heard honking outside. I jumped up to see our friends' car slowing down out front and turning in.
I smiled.
Then I heard more honking and recognized the car behind them then saw a whole line of cars!
My church family was doing a birthday parade for me!
It was wonderful. 
Thank goodness I'd changed out of my pajamas at noon! 
My friend Audrey arranged it by phone and it counts as my surprise party. 


When I interviewed the minister for last week's In Conversation With... he talked about participating in a funeral procession -- 
driving by the widow and her daughters after a member of his congregation died.
He told me he's seen it on TV and thought it was silly -- until he actually participated in it.
He realized it was quite meaningful.
And that's how I felt about my birthday drive by. Who would have thought a line of honking cars,
people waving and calling out Happy Birthday, 
Joanna getting so tangled up in her floppy sign that she almost drove into the ditch,
would be so much fun and be just as meaningful?
It's a gesture I'll never forget. 
And it was so good to see everyone. 

Later in the afternoon, I had a Zoom conference call with five of my besties. 
We were supposed to have an entire weekend at a resort in Ontario at the start of May,
but this was just as nice, getting to see them and talk and laugh with them. 
"Anyone peed themselves?" I asked.
No one had so that bodes well for our fifties.
I didn't say it out loud but I'm grateful my lifelong friends are all still around. 
How lucky is that? 


One of my gifts came in this box, and Leonard had a good long nap in it.
A good time was had by all.
Turns out, having a birthday during a pandemic quarantine wasn't so bad.
Since my motto is "Start as you mean to go on," there's absolutely nothing for me to be suspicious about. 
My fifties started just the way I'd want them to: with love and laughter, joy and good food. 




No comments:

Post a Comment