Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Eighty and Greaty!


Today is my mother's 80th birthday. 

I've been so busy working, I haven't really written a proper tribute to share publicly, but don't panic! When we were in lockdown last month here in Nova Scotia, I had the time to put together a large book of photos and her writing. It turned out beautifully and the best of her writing is together in one book; there's a copy for her grandchildren, as well. 

So that's where my effort went, into her gift. Believe me, while typing up her stories, I kept starting to shout down the hallway about something I was reading but remembered I couldn't let on I was doing something special for her birthday! 

It's clear I get my writing talent from my mother. And she was good. First a poet then a writer of letters to her family once she'd moved out of Toronto. The famous "Epistles". She was funny and clever and creative. I'm sorry she didn't pursue more of her writing, or more of her music because she's equally talented in both. It makes me grateful I get to share my writing career with her. 

1956

Here's one of her early poems: 

BESIDE THE SHORE

The waves lap softly at the shore
As they have done since days of yore.
The bees that buzz so loudly near
Come close to me without a fear.

The water lilies that float so calmly
Look to the sun that shines so warmly
And then I feel a fragrant breeze
That gently stirs the grass and trees.

It’s oh, so peaceful and quiet here
Without the crowds of the city near.
A fish jumps, a bullfrog roars,
Here beside these sparkling shores.

Composed at Little Mud Turtle Lake, Coboconk, Ontario, Summer 1957, where her family had their  cottage.

Interesting that I got Mother's writing talent, and my sister got her musical talent. An even split between her two daughters. That's just the way she is.  And we all love to cook, and go on road trips, which is what we're doing today to celebrate this big birthday - heading out to Peggy's Cove for lunch (after visiting a bookstore, of course). 


It's been ten years since we built the addition on our house here in Nova Scotia so Mum could move in with us; I suppose we'll still be in this house when Mother celebrates her 90th birthday! 
If there is one word to describe my mother, her life and our life together, that word is

laughter. 

We have good times. 
I have a good mother. 
I have a mother in great health - eighty and greaty! 
We are celebrating her today. 


Her graduation photo from teachers' college



No comments:

Post a Comment