Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Feathered Serendipity


It must have been serendipity that our trip to buy flowers ended with chickens coming home with us as well. Due to death, as happens, our flock is reduced to nine hens so we've been wanting to add some more egg layers to the coop. It's not easy finding people with chicks or pullets available; then it's not easy finding someone who isn't going on vacation for two weeks!
So when I spied a pen full of pullets in the yard of the local nursery, I hightailed it across the lawn.
"Are you selling any of the barred Rocks?" my husband asked immediately.
Done deal: home we came with seven barred Rocks and one whose breed I don't know; can't find any that match the name I thought he gave us. But it's pretty and I like to keep things mixed up and apparently, it lays a white egg, something we haven't seen in our nest boxes since we had those nasty bantam Leghorns many years ago -- talk about high-strung and neurotic. We don't want those qualities in our life, let alone in our flock.
We've put them in the holding cage, amongst the dandelions, until they are big enough to join the big birds in the coop. I don't know what our old and crippled rooster is going to do when he gets a load of the new girls. I hope he doesn't have a heart attack. Perhaps they'll be faster than his gnarled toes can move.




No comments:

Post a Comment