Friday, February 10, 2017

When Smoke Gets In Your Eyes


We had a wee problem with our chimney flue last night, as we listened to the wind pick up and waited for the snow to start flying around.
"I smell smoke," my husband said just as I was about to start sneezing. Usually a wood furnace only makes me sneezy when the air outside is heavy and damp.
Fortunately, our problem was dealt with quickly and efficiently by half a dozen members of the Oxford Fire Department. We didn't even have to evacuate.
It was a strange experience to be sitting at my desk in a room on the second floor at the end of the house, transcribing an interview onto my computer, while men with flashlights went up and down a ladder outside the window.
But even when the smokes gets in her eyes, a writer writes.




No comments:

Post a Comment