Thursday, February 21, 2019

Skating By the Light of the Full Moon


So it happened: I skated by the light of the full moon. The wind was cold! But it was worth it.
It was quite bright -- the phone darkened the scene down, which is a shame, and also my warmest outer gear is black so that's doesn't help. But you can see the moon reflected on that perfect ice and that's my shadow and my legs, and I skated and skated and skated until I could not feel my toes.
It was exhilarating.

At one point, as I whizzed towards my husband who was tending the bonfire on the edge of the ice, I said, "This feels like a vacation."
I don't take vacations -- I don't need them. My whole life feels like a vacation. I work hard, but it's not the same as working as a full-time teacher or nurse or a service provider in a store or restaurant.
But still... sometimes it's nice to get away on a vacation. Even if it's just a two-minute walk across my field to the pond!
That's the best way I can explain how it made me feel to be skating by the light of a full moon. I think it felt like a vacation because I had never done that before. It was lovely and unique and new -- like the first day at a resort in Mexico would feel, I'm sure, since I've never been there either, but I was much happier to be out in the cold night air in our field in rural Nova Scotia.

Amazing how easy it was to make my heart happy.
Maybe that's it: I took a break from striving. That was my vacation -- not thinking about tomorrow and all the work to be done, all the chasing of a dream, of income, of bills to pay. My vacation was simply being in the moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment