Friday, May 01, 2020

The Osprey Chronicles

See the dark splotchiness on its chest? That means it's a female. 

I could have started The Osprey Chronicles last week, but I was preoccupied with writing prayers and reflections in the aftermath of the mass killings in my little part of the world. And I wasn't quite sure what was going to transpire with the lone osprey showed up periodically for two weeks so at first, it was only going to be one post. 

When I woke up at six o'clock last Tuesday, the 21st, I heard chirping. Osprey chirping. I sat up in bed and looked out the sliding glass door to see an osprey sitting in the nest. So I hopped out of bed and took some photos of it.
It flew off, and later in the morning, it returned long enough for Dwayne to see it.
"He's come to say hello," my husband said. It did seem as if the osprey wanted to acknowledge the nest but wasn't prepared to take it on.  (I can't tell from my photos if it was a male or female.)
Do osprey communicate this kind of information: Hey, guys, there's this nest in Nova Scotia, along the River Philip, yeah, by the big red house. The people who live there are big fans. I hear it's vacant... 

Assuming its the same female; the wing is blocking its chest. 

On Sunday, this lone osprey showed up -- and stayed. It has been on the nest (what's left of it, I should say) or on the perch on and off throughout the week.


Then at lunch time today, I looked out to see the osprey bringing in a stick -- and looked up to see another one flying in as well.

So -- sigh -- my poor heart -- it looks like a mated pair has taken over the nest, and is rebuilding it. I wonder if they have time to lay and incubate eggs and raise babies to fly away in early September?



It's not without its drama, however. See that stuff trailing off the side of the nest? Could be monofilament (fishing line -- argh). I'm worried the birds will get tangled in it as they fly in and out of the nest so I've emailed a photo to the Department of Lands and Forest. It would be nice if we could prevent a crisis rather than have to respond to one.

I think the second bird to fly off was the male. 
Oh, my heart. But I tell you, my heart loves to hear the ospreys chirping and see them flying above our property. We just need to figure out how to protect them and get those babies into the air in August.
Time to order trout for our pond.


No comments:

Post a Comment