Thursday, June 11, 2020

Rest and Renew



While doing research for this Sunday's message topic (for the letter X), I found this from Maya Angelou. It complements yesterday's post and a lot of my own experiences: 

"Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for. Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not with draw from us. We need hours of aimless wandering or spates of time sitting on park benches, observing the mysterious world of ants and the canopy of treetops.

"If we step away for a time, we are not, as many may think and some will accuse, being irresponsible, but rather we are preparing ourselves to more ably perform our duties and discharge our obligations.

"When I return home, I am always surprised to find some questions I sought to evade had been answered and some entanglements I'd hoped to flee had become unraveled in my absence. 

"A day away acts as a spring tonic. It can dispel rancor, transform indecision, and renew the spirit."

~ Maya Angelou, from her 1993 collection of essays,
Wouldn't Take Nothing For My Journey Now 



No comments:

Post a Comment