Tuesday, June 01, 2021

Words Are Not Enough


I couldn't sleep last night. I tossed and turned. I don't feel guilty for being the descendent of white immigrants (my family arrived after the settlers took over the land) but I'm tired of being shocked and horrified and frustrated by what we put the Indigenous peoples through, and continue to put them through. Hundreds of years and through generations of abuse and suffering, denigration and dehumanization. I don't get it - how anyone could treat other human beings, let alone children, the way we've treated the Indigenous people. And to call them savages? Their spirituality is beautiful and enviable. Those of us who feel spirit in nature can absolutely relate to Native spirituality.

It's hard to be a member of a church, to be a Christian, and know these atrocities were committed by members of the Catholic, Anglican, United and Presbyterian churches. Here's what radio personality Charles Adler of Vancouver said, "The church's mission was to 'take the Indian' out of the children. It seems they took the Christ out of Christian." 

Do you know the federal government is involved in litigation against the survivors of the residential schools? Likely to deny them all the compensation they deserve. Generations of government-and-church sanctioned trauma and you want to nickel-and-dime them? 

I don't write about this -- I tend to listen and learn, and I don't want to say the wrong thing, I keep my privileged white mouth shut; I also don't know what to DO that will make a difference. I mean, the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women issue -- that's horrific too. But governments and government agencies ignore the truth, ignore the details, and refuse to change. That's the problem. The System simply won't budge. 
And it kept me awake last night. Where is the fairness? Where is the kindness and mercy and justice? 

I don't write about this but on Saturday, the following poem shouted to be written so I did what I do now: I opened a blank document, placed my fingers on the keyboard, and let it flow out of me. When I posted it to my Facebook page, fresh and rough, I encouraged those with more understanding of the issue to correct or suggest changes, but no one did. It was shared 27 times. 

UNDOCUMENTED CHILDREN

(after the discovery of the remains of children
buried in a forgotten grave
at the former residential school in Kamloops, BC)

An Indigenous woman challenged,   

“Imagine finding the bodies of 215 children
buried in the yard at your local elementary school”

and the collective white mind replied, 
“But that wouldn’t happen.”

Exactly. 

We cannot imagine 
We don’t know what it’s like
We are afraid of the truth 

So we deny
we ignore
we mute 
we refuse to let the grief and rage
of those who tell their stories
of abuse and terror and suffering
that are beyond our imaginations
infiltrate our minds
and bleed into our hearts
just as their life bled from them 

In a burial register
the name, age, gender, cause of death, 
dates of death and burial
and the location of burial
are written

on a single line

Those Indigenous children
forcibly – legally – 
removed
from their families
from their homes
from their land and their culture

turned over to the collective white mind
whose job it was to transform them
by any means

into … what, exactly? 

Exactly. 

Even though their spirits resisted
they died or they survived
and they reconciled themselves
to living 
inside the collective white mind

where they were not
worth the ink 
for writing a line in a book
as a record of their existence

where they are not
worth the effort 
of signing on lines  
in recognition of their persistence 

the truth
is not written in ink
but in blood

and dirt


~ by Sara Jewell
 May 29, 2021


 

No comments:

Post a Comment