Thursday, September 01, 2016

Dazed and Amazed


One of the essays in my book concludes with a recipe for dandelion jelly. The woman who sparked my interest in the jelly, and is the subject of that essay, used a recipe she found in an American magazine but it made more sense to me to use a recipe created by a Nova Scotian. So I searched and asked around and found the website/blog for Dakeyne Farm in the Annapolis Valley (the farm is between Windsor and Grand Pre).

When I asked Jen Wilson for permission to use her recipe, I promised I'd come down in August to check out Nova Scotia's only sunflower maze. Although we missed the annual butterfly release by one week, my mother and I finally made it yesterday and had a lovely time wandering the dragonfly-shaped maze while listening to the crickets chirp and chatting at the maze shed with Jen and her two daughters (who are ferocious sales girls, let me tell you). Jen and her family have been designing and planting the sunflower maze for five years. She also makes honey and beeswax candles (I bought one thick taper, wish I'd bought more) as well as dandelion jelly, of course.

Nice to do a little cross-promotion and help out another farming entrepreneur. Hopefully getting mentioned in my book will boost her a-mazing work and help her achieve her goal of opening a proper store.
www.dakeynefarm.com



No comments:

Post a Comment