Here is a list of my favourite books of 2011.These aren't necessarily books that came out in 2011; they are simply the ones I read this year that I enjoyed the most and have recommended to others. They're listed in no particular order.
NF = non-fiction; F = fiction
1. Modoc, by Ralph Helfer. (NF) Fabulous story of an elephant and his human soul-mate.
2. Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese. (F) Set in Ethiopia. Didn't want it to end.
3. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, by Stieg Larsson. (F) A satisfying end to the trilogy.
4. Homer's Odyssey, by Gwen Cooper. (NF) About a blind cat. Not just another animal story. The author's story about 9-11 and trying to get back to her cat makes the book worth reading.
5. Soul of a Dog, by Jon Katz. (NF) I read anything by him and this book includes donkeys and goats. No dogs die in this book.
6. The Woefield Poultry Collection, by Susan Juby. (F) *Canadian. Great characters.Plus chickens.
7. The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd. (F) Loved this book. Made me want to keep bees.
8. Poser, by Claire Dederer. (NF) A yoga book. Made me more aware of my own practice.
9. One Amazing Thing, by Chitra Divakarumi. (F) Lovely, lovely, lovely. An unexpected find.
10. Farm City, by Novella Carpenter. (NF) I learned so much from this book without it being a how-to, or preachy (now I know what to do with all my rabbit poop). Set in San Fransisco.