Saturday, December 20, 2014

"Can You Eat This?"

Stella in 2013

Just finished a 1,600-word first draft of an essay about this dog, my Stella, our "Guts". An online literary journal is looking for submissions to an anthology on the theme of food and I immediately thought of my dogs. Instead of writing a poignant piece about feeding my father when he was in the nursing and giving the editors another serious piece, I decided to answer the age-old question, "Is your dog food-oriented?".

I've been cooking food for my dogs for twelve years. They live longer on home-cooked meals. I spend more time in the morning preparing breakfast for the dogs than I do making my own.
I call Stella "my seven o'clock and my five o'clock" because those are her feeding times and there is no more penetrating gaze that from a dog who knows it's a quarter past breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment