Monday, October 26, 2015

Afternoon Sun


Just as I sat down in my chair to edit a short story, the sun came out from behind the clouds and lit up the yellow leaves outside my office window, behind the dragonfly ornament. It's hard to concentrate when the sun is calling you and the dragonfly is reminding you and your words are on the page in front of you.
The sun wants me to get outside and walk, stimulate my brain for thinking, blow the old thoughts out and make room for the new ideas emerging from the dark depths of my subconscious.
The dragonfly says, "Don't be afraid to try something different. Believe that your wings are stronger than you realize."
The words say, "More, more, more."
So I worked on the story and sent the pages to my dragonfly queen who will edit and holler back in an email with suggestions that will seem outrageous and unknowable and I will take her words and my words, all squirming and wiggling and not wanting to tie their shoelaces or put on toques, for a long walk in the woods and the yellow leaves,
flopping like wings,
will show me how to make those words straighten up and fly right.

No comments:

Post a Comment