Thursday, March 23, 2017

Treat for the Chickens


Blue sky and sunshine,
but cold and snowy, wind blowing hard across the field and yard.
There's even a snow drift inside the coop, the snow blowing in through the hole above the summer chute that I keep stuffing with feed bags and they keep pecking out. 
The chickens had to stay inside the coop, laying eggs while listening to the wind rattling the wind vane.
I felt sorry for them, longing to be outside even though the proof of winter weather lay across their floor. So I made them a treat to help them through the rest of this misleading day: hot oatmeal with cinnamon and chopped apple.
Here's the funny thing: Because of the way the wind is blowing, we're having a hard time keeping our house warm today, in spite of the sunshine, and I do believe the coop is warmer than my upstairs office! 




No comments:

Post a Comment