Tuesday, January 05, 2016

And So It Begins


It's the end of the my first day writing essays for the book.
My favourite part of today? The four o'clock walk.
I suspect that will be my favourite part of every day for the next 60 days, until every essay is written and edited and rewritten and proofread, then submitted on February 29.
In order to get everything done, I've set this schedule: by the end of January, I will have the first draft of 24 essays completed. That leaves February for reading and editing and rewriting. I'm hoping this works out (I eased into the work last week by writing two essays) but to encourage my usual ahead-of-schedule completion, this is "Two Column Tuesday". Every Tuesday, the first day of my three book writing days, I will write two columns, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Ideally, I would like to write two columns a day for all three days (and after today, I think that is possible, and -- given how I feel about the column I wrote this afternoon -- it's necessary) but in case my brain fizzles out every so often, I know at least four essays will get written each week.
What happened to Monday and Friday, you ask? Monday is the day for writing the Field Notes column for the newspaper and for putting together the church service. Friday morning I write my sermon and community prayer.
Friday afternoons are for errands.
Sounds pretty stark and rigid, doesn't it?Sounds like a lot of work and no fun, right?
It's winter in rural Nova Scotia, people, and I'm writing a book. That's my idea of heaven on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment