Friday, September 12, 2014

Breakfast and Bears


When I returned from my walk with the dog yesterday morning, postponed until 8 am because of fog, my husband was on the back deck drinking coffee and watching this doe and her two fawns work their way across the field.
It was cut a month ago so tasty new shoots of clover and grass will be in abundance for them. My husband says with two fawns, the doe will be struggling to get her winter weight on.
"Are the fawns old enough to survive the winter?" I asked him.
"Not if we have another winter like we had last year," Dwayne replied.
Later, he returned from running errands in town and said he's seen the doe and fawns across the road by the river. Why has evolution not taught wild animals about asphalt and vehicles?
When I went for a walk after lunch, the dog and I couldn't go all the way to the beaver brook because there was a black bear wandering around the lane just above it. I'm not afraid, would have loved a closer look, but that last thing I want is for the dog to chase it. 
A call came in after lunch: a neighbour's wife out for her walk came across three men in a car who had struck a deer -- but the deer wasn't dead. After she called her husband, the men took off, leaving her with the badly injured deer.
"She was crying when I got there," my husband told me later.
I imagine.
It was the young buck we had seen a few weeks ago. It crossed the road in front of us, in the same area where it was struck, and we slowed down to watch it go into the woods. It stopped and turned back and looked at us.
Now he is dead. 
Dwayne provided the merciful death then called around to find out who is now responsible for removing dead deer from ditches since this one was nearby a house. The Department of Transportation has a guy -- and late in the afternoon, the guy showed up at our house to collect Dwayne.
As they drove up to the spot, Dwayne said, "It's just up there."
"Where that bear is sitting by any chance?" the guy's wife said.
And there was a yearling cub settled in next to the body of the young buck, about to enjoy a meal.
As the air changes, as the days shorten, the wild geese and the wild animals are on the move again. Doing what the wild things do.


No comments:

Post a Comment